Week 30 was really up and down. The down is definitely the loss of a dear friend, Emily. Emily and I met during our time working together in the marketing department at Moody Gardens, back in 2003-2004. We became instant friends. In 2012, Emily was diagnosed with pretty aggressive Primary Peritoneal Cancer. She fought so hard, and with such grace, and was an inspiration to everyone who knew her. On February 11, 2016, Emily passed away, surrounded by her family and closest friends. I miss her deeply, and my heart breaks for her husband Bret. Emily was the first friend I told about this pregnancy, and I am so sad that my little man will never get to meet her.
The up would be a visit from my longtime friend (we met in Jr. high!) Adrienne, who flew in all the way from Kansas City for some girl time and my first baby shower! We had a great time together, made the most of every single minute of her quick visit, and it was really good for my heart and soul. My baby shower, hosted by my sister in law Katie and her mom Valerie, was just precious... I'll make that its very own post soon!
How far along: 31 weeks
![]() |
| Emily and Bret on their wedding day in 2012. A love so beautiful, there aren't really words to describe it. |
How big is baby: Supposedly, he's about three and a half pounds now. I can't believe it!
Diet/Cravings/Aversions: Doing quite well with the gestational diabetes diet now. I've been able to figure out how to pair things (if I really "need" a bad carb, pair it with some protein, then go for a walk) and have been keeping it all under control. I am starting a list of things I am looking forward to once baby is here, and a donut is at the top of the list :)
Symptoms: Lots of wiggles. I think my pace is slowing down on our walks. I've been pretty tired, too. I did have my second leg cramp this past week - those are no fun! Since I'm a FTM (first time mom) and I generally assume I have no idea what's going on, I can't say for sure, but I'm "pretty sure" I've been feeling Braxton Hix contractions. In fact, I just had one - it was like a slow building of pressure on the right side of my bump, until it was rock hard and sticking out just a little (lopsided belly is a pretty common thing around here). I don't notice them release, I'll just go back and poke and find the area softer/back to normal a few seconds (like, 30-ish seconds) later.
Sleep: The trend of more sleep because I'm more exhausted continues!
Movement: He moves a lot! He even kicked his Auntie Adrienne in the side when we were taking pictures :)
Labor signs: None
The belly: I love it. Sure, it's uncomfortable and I still misjudge how far it sticks out when I try to squeeze past things, but overall I think it's adorable.
Belly button- in or out: Mostly flat with a little poking out at the top. Weird!
Best moment this week: Celebrating baby Samuel with family and friends at my first baby shower.
What I miss: My normal high-energy personality. I'm definitely slowing down.
What I am looking forward to: My next nap. Our final Bradley class, which is all about breastfeeding and newborn care.
Milestones: Apparently, baby is nearing his birth length and just has a lot of weight to put on! It's fun to imagine what he's going to look like.
What I'm loving: With showers come lots of kind (and cute!) gifts that will help us prepare for his arrival, so it's fun to organize and do projects and get things ready! I also have less than 30 days of work left!
Worries: The stress last week had me a little worried because I know it's not good for me or baby (I had an obvious rise in blood sugar for a day or so) but I've had a really wonderful support network. I'm trying to check my worries at the door - we are on the home stretch and I just want to focus on finishing out this pregnancy strong and healthy and having a great delivery!


No comments:
Post a Comment