How far along: 29.5 weeks (I'm behind on posting, what's new?!)
How big is baby: Close to three pounds now. Feels like there's more baby belly than there is "me". (Not a particularly good picture (ugh double chin!!), but it's what you get this week!)
Diet/Cravings/Aversions: Oh boy, here it goes. I failed my gestational diabetes glucose tolerance test. Pretty much overnight my whole life began to revolve around planning, purchasing, and preparing every morsel I put in my mouth. Then there's eating the food, which I'm supposed to do 6 times a day (3 meals, 3 snacks), walking after meals, and testing my blood sugar 4x a day. I haven't been in the best of moods amidst all these changes, but I'm finally settling into the routine. And looking forward to getting to eat the thin mint girl scout cookies I had to stash in the freezer for after baby :)
Symptoms: Grunting when I roll over in bed. More rib pain. Getting more tired, taking more naps.
Sleep: I still only get up twice during the night to pee, so it's not bad. I think I'm actually getting a bit more sleep at night because I'm so exhausted.
Movement: The movements are more constant and stronger! It's impressive how he can now contort the entire shape of my belly with his kicks and stretches!
Labor signs: Nope. Too early!
The belly: It leads the way these days! Sometimes gets in the way of things like opening the refrigerator door. It's getting hard to zip up my winter coat, so it'd be great if spring would go ahead and come to stay now.
Belly button- in or out: Flat
Best moment this week: Honestly, I had more not very good moments the last week, including a complete breakdown over the GD diagnosis, and some baby blues as I adjusted to new ways of doing things and realizing that I was going to work really hard to control this with diet and exercise, but that it could also just be out of my control. I guess the best moment(s) this week would be all the times my hubby has stepped up to do everything he can to help. A close second place goes to the phone call that we successfully got our insurance to cover the birth center in-network rather than out-of-network!
What I miss: Not worrying about what I eat having an impact on the baby. It's very stressful.
What I am looking forward to: The weekend!
Milestones: My pregnancy app didn't offer much in the way of baby milestones this week except a warning about varicose veins! LOL (which, i'm pretty sure i have one on my right leg... thanks kid!) I guess we did graduate from once monthly prenatal appointments to every two weeks. More chances to hear baby's heartbeat and get some peace of mind that things are progressing as they should is always a good thing!
What I'm loving: People aren't afraid to ask if I'm pregnant, instead, I get lots of questions about when I'm due. It's cute and I enjoy sharing our excitement.
Worries: I've been pretty in control of the blood sugar thing (it's been a week now) but I worry that it will get harder to control (just because of the increase in hormones and issues with the placenta making me more insulin resistant as the pregnancy progresses). If I can't control it with diet and exercise, I'll have to get referred out to an OB practice and will have to go back to having a hospital birth rather than having our baby at the birth center. Obviously, Sammy's safety is the most important thing, I just would really prefer the low-intervention mentality of the birth center over the way hospitals tend to handle delivery. I know in the end it will all be fine, and I'm very thankful to have our doula who will help us through whatever delivery we end up with.

I misse your update last week but found it today! I'm sending you big virtual hugs right now! I know the GD diagnosis is hard on you physically and mentally but you're going to rock it! It's also okay to be upset about it, that's how we deal with things sometimes. Little Sammy is really growing and I'm excited to celebrate him (and you!) this weekend. Yay for in-network coverage, that's huge!! Love you, sis.
ReplyDelete