Saturday, May 14, 2016

Samuel Kai's Birth Story

Samuel's Birth Story, Part 1
April 19, 2016 - Our Due Date

I like to think things started on Saturday, April 16th with an episode of false labor! I had some strong contractions that evening until about 2am, but thanks to the things we learned in our Bradley class, we were pretty sure it wasn't the real thing so we didn't start sounding any alarms. Sure enough, it fizzled out. My contractions were frequent, but the lengths were all over the place, and they didn't get more intense as time went on.

Today, at my 40 week appointment with the midwives at the Bay Area Birth Center, we agreed to an exam that actually revealed that I am 3 cm dilated, 60% effaced, and at a -1 or zero station, which means he's really down there, engaged in my pelvis! Midwife Jackie predicts we may have a baby by Thursday! I left the appointment excited - I was sure that the exam would reveal very little, if any, progress. Our Bradley instructor and doula, Justine, says "If it's not 10 [centimeters], it doesn't matter!" and I know she's right - women can be 3 cm or more dilated for weeks and weeks before going into labor. But here we are, on our due date, and starting to show signs of being ready to get this show on the road. And Jackie has a lot of experience, so I tend to trust her intution! Jackie also performed a Non-Stress Test which is basically just monitoring Sam for 15-20 minutes, looking for good fluctuations in heart rate, and he did perfectly! So all indications, despite going a little over our due date, are still that we have a healthy, active little boy in there.

So today we started a light rotation of pelvic rock exercises, bouncing on the exercise ball, and taking a brisk walk, followed by rest/napping :) I also made what I hope will be my last trip to the grocery store as a pregnant lady. I have a sewing project to work on during the day tomorrow to keep me busy, and I'll be repeating my exercise, bounce, nap/rest activities. Mostly I just have instructions to eat, drink plenty of water, and rest to prepare for labor.

Here's to a hopefully exciting week!

Samuel's Birth Story, Part 2
Written partially on May 4th, and finished on May 14th

7pm Thursday (the 21st) I started having contractions again. Brian had taken the day off and we spent the day together "getting our mind off of baby watch" by walking around the mall, eating pizza, and getting massages! It worked :)

We watched "The Mummy", took a walk under the full moon, and went to bed about 10pm. I was up frequently with contractions, going to the bathroom, etc. By 4am I was miserable and woke up Brian. By 4:30 he contacted had our doula Justine, because the contractions were quickly approaching the 1 min length/5 min apart benchmark. I think I was in denial... Contractions were rough and I just assumed I had hours and hours ahead of me, and I really started doubting myself. As soon as Justine arrived and spent a couple contractions with me, she said it was time to head to the birth center!!! Oh boy...

Brian got us all packed up (inlcuding chopping watermelon!) and off we went. The drive was rough, but I was apparently really sweet, telling Brian what a good job he was doing. Lol! When we got there, I had a new midwife, Diana, which kind of threw me off.. I didn't ask out loud but I think I was wondering if I should try to wait (ha!) until one of the regular midwives arrived?! I was kind of feeling scared/confused, and overwhelmed by the strength of the contractions... but couldn't really verbalize any of that. My whole brain was just dedicated to getting through each contraction and preparing for the next one.

Diana turned out to be amazing - I love her now! She had been at my last appointment, I just didn't know if she was training or a nurse, or what... but she's a certified doula that trained with Jackie years ago, tried to start her own practice in Arkanasas but only had 4 babies in 4 years - different states have different laws/rules and demand there for birth center/midwife work is much lower than here! So when Jackie and Diana ran into each other, Jackie enthusiastically offered Diana a job at our center. And we were her first delivery back in the Lone Star State! She actually had just gotten her Texas license renewed on Tuesday of the same week!

Anyway, she checked me and I was 8 cm!!! I labored in the tub, on the bed, etc. my bag of water was bulging but wouldn't break and I was in a lot of pain, I think from my bladder. I just remember a lot of pain and a lot of shaking. My legs were sooo worn out as I started pushing in an all fours position on the bed. I was confused because I was 10 cm and didn't feel the urge to push. Tried the birth stool for some practice pushes, and first push my water exploded - lol!!! I loved the stool, but unfortunately his heart rate plummeted, so I had to get back on the bed. I was finally feeling the push instinct though!!!

It got a little chaotic... His heart rate was kind of in and out, another midwife got a bit frantic, and at some point I could understand that it was getting urgent for this guy to come out. So, slow gentle pushing thru crowning went out the window and I was just told to get the baby out. And I did. I got a second degree and first degree tear, I think I felt it happen (😳) and I was in a bit of shock over it all.
But he was here! And he was fine! And big! And strong! They said he came out with a hand in the air grasping open and closed. (Those fists.... He is still making fists, often to the detriment of our breastfeeding latching...)

9 lbs, 5 oz, 21 inches long.. 14 and 3/8 inch head!!! His size took everyone by surprise. Midwives said they think I would have torn no matter what with a baby that size!

Brian has been amazing. Breastfeeding has been our biggest challenge, from bad latches that kind of tore me up from day one, through having a lactation consultant come to our house to help us out, to the amount of time spent sitting on my sore bottom feeding this guy... breastfeeding is not my favorite part of this experience so far. But I know it's the best possible stuff he can have, so I want to keep trying to make it work. Each day gets a little easier so I know somehow we will get through it all!

At our 2 week appointment, he had already passed his birth weight! So despite our breastfeeding challenges, it looks like we are doing well. I also joked with the midwife, asking if they would have me back again or if I was so out of control if they'd rather I go somewhere else... She laughed and said I was great, she didn't even feel like I screamed or yelled and that what she really remembers about our birth was that I was really sweet and polite - LOL!! So I guess my perception and reality are a little off.

No comments:

Post a Comment