Friday, December 28, 2018

Nora's Birth Story

Our due date came and went. I really thought (hoped? Maybe it was pure hope...) I wouldn't go over due this time. We had an appointment on 11/30, and my mood had changed from energized and anxious to tired/over it. It had been two long weeks of thinking "any day now!" and I just wanted to get through the birth and on to our new life as a family of four! We scheduled a bio physical profile (BPP) ultrasound for Monday 12/3 and joked that the surest way to get a baby out is to schedule a BPP.  I started pumping that afternoon, to try to get labor going. I would get a couple contractions, and then it would stop.

Saturday morning, 12/1 and 40 weeks, 6 days pregnant: 
Sammy went to Galveston with Grammy and Grandaddy, and Brian and I focused on relaxation, walking, and I kept pumping. I could tell that pumping was really getting my contractions going, but they would always fade away when I wasn't pumping. We went to one of our favorite new walking trails, Lake Friendswood Park, and walked two loops (about 2 miles) after eating a picnic lunch. We were definitely contracting but it wasn't even strong enough to cause me to stop! We just kept walking. But I did let Brian drive us home (I had a contraction while driving us there and it was strong enough to make me think, hm, maybe I should let Brian do this...)

When we got home, I had about an hour and a half without any contractions. I was mad! How could they just keep stopping like this?!

But I pumped one more time, and here came the contractions again. They started getting stronger. I let Jackie our midwife know that it seemed like contractions were starting to get serious. Brian was watching a movie but eventually we turned it off because it was getting intense and it was starting to annoy me while I was trying to stay relaxed. Dinner plans were made (lasagna!) and when it came time to eat, I wasn't sure I should join the family for fear of disturbing them with my frequent *stop, breathe, breatthheeeeeeeeeeee, okay* - mainly, I didn't want to freak Sammy out, but it was also a little awkward with my inlaws there - so I stayed mostly in our room. About 5:30pm I told Brian he needed to eat something, thinking we were in for a long night! I was trying to time my contractions on my own, but always fumbled with the phone and couldn't get them started at quite the right time. But at some point they were 6 to 7 minutes apart, and all of a sudden I had a couple only about 4 minutes apart. When Brian checked on me I told him not to look at the phone/contraction timer - ha! I grabbed a small serving of lasagna, some garlic bread, some watermelon... just trying to fortify myself for the next 12 hours of labor...

At about 6:30 we touched base with Jackie again. We agreed to come to the birth center about 8pm. Sammy and the grands went to drive and look at Christmas lights, and I'll never forget the GIANT hug I gave my first born before he left, knowing they probably wouldn't be back before we left for the birth center. I had a contraction while squatting down to hug him, but barely felt it because I was choking back tears trying to be strong and not worry him!

The drive to the birth center was peaceful. I laid down across the back seat, and besides the belt buckle in my kidney, I managed the three or four contractions I had in the car well. I even made a joke about smelling burning outside (we were driving past Rudy's BBQ!) and wanting to make sure Brian smelled it too and that I wasn't crazy. I tried to stay really focused and calm, and remember seeing blinking airplanes and stars in the dark sky out the window, and watching Brian stroke his beard as he drove. I was so incredibly proud of us for getting so far and staying so calm! Knowing with contractions about 5 minutes apart that we should be getting to the birth center soon, but also feeling the car sitting still for a long time, I asked Brian if everything was okay out there. He told me yes, but our exit of the Beltway was closed!!! So we had to detour a little out of the way, adding about 10-15 minutes to our drive. But soon we arrived at the birth center.

Bay Area Community Birth Center, 8:15pm
I got out of the car, knowing another contraction was coming soon. I stopped outside the back gate and leaned on Brian for a contraction, JUST like I had done when arriving at the birth center two and a half years ago to have Sam! That was a surreal moment. Here we go again, I thought!

We went inside, and they directed us down the hall to the same room where I had Sam. This is one of those moments I just knew we had made the right decision going with the birth center again, and that everything was EXACTLY as it was meant to be. Jackie and her student midwife Susannah were there, and helped us settle in. We listened to baby through a couple contractions, and Jackie checked my dilation - I was at a 6, and our contractions were almost exactly 5 minutes apart. We came at the perfect time. Jackie predicted we would have a baby by midnight!

I sat on a birth ball and leaned over the bed for a little while. Brian held my hands and kept me calm, and Jackie rubbed my back. I got up and went to the restroom. Decided to lay on the bed to stretch out. Our nurse Amber arrived and introduced herself. All of our checks on baby were perfect - good heart rate, good recovery after contractions. My blood pressure was good, too. Suddenly, I felt my water break - like a balloon bursting inside, followed by a gush of fluid. Jackie confirmed the fluid was clear and everything looked good! She warned me my contractions were going to get more intense now, but that this is good and we would be having a baby soon!

They really did get more painful, fast!!! They got the bathtub filled for me, and soon I was in the water. It wasn't long and I was feeling ready to push - I was so eager to meet my baby and be done with labor! Jackie checked me and I was 9.5 cm dilated. They told me to wait if I could, but that another couple of contractions and I should be ready. When I started pushing, it was only about 3 contractions and her head was out, and one more and her whole body was born.


Our beautiful, sweet Nora Ann was born 12/1 at 10:17pm. As they brought her up to me, I happy cried and wished her a happy birthday, and told her how much I loved her! She was very calm and snuggly, covered in a thick layer of vernix, and very big!!! Later when they weighed and measured her, we found out she was 8 lbs, 15 oz, and 22.5 inches long. (By comparison, brother was 9 lbs, 5 oz and 21 inches long.) She was a natural at nursing, very strong and healthy. We stayed the night at the birth center since we had to stay until about 2am for recovery anyway. everyone got a little rest but we were up at about 6am ready to start the process of getting home! Nora slept in the car seat the whole way home and I just prepared myself for the next big event, introducing big brother to baby sister.

I was so proud of the birth experience we had this time! I was able to remain calm, breathe and relax through my contractions. I felt so loved and supported and safe. We do not plan to have any more babies, at least not our own biological babies, but I am super grateful to have had this opportunity, and for the midwives, staff and students who pursue this field so that women like me have a better chance of achieving a med free, natural labor and birth than in a hospital setting.








1 comment: